Authentic connection is the heart of my practice. I develop meaningful, genuine relationships with each of my clients. Clients learn the skills to access their whole self and bring that whole self to relationships. Together, we discover and communicate our desires, needs, and boundaries.
Social justice values are central to my life and my practice. I am committed to working with clients of all genders, races, sexualities, abilities, and income levels. I offer sliding scale pricing to clients in my priority areas who have financial need (see ‘Fees’ below).
My practice is grounded in both science and spirituality. It is important to me that my clients gain a clear understanding of the psychological and medical foundations of the exercises we do, as well as come to a deeper awareness of self through embodiment and connection. Our sessions will integrate mindfulness techniques, somatic exercises, anatomical exploration, open communication, skills practice, and just having fun together!
I’m currently based in Nothampton, MA, and am taking clients in the northeast. I will be returning to the west coast in late 2021 or early 2022 for intensives with clients there. I am not taking on new California clients at this time.
I am also open to planning intensives with clients in other parts of the country on a case-by-case basis, particularly if the client is located in the following cities:
- Seattle, WA
- Portland, OR
- Oakland, CA
- Austin, TX
- Northampton, MA
- New York, NY
I am fully vaccinated and am once again working in-person with clients who are also fully vaccinated. If you are fully vaccinated, live in the northeast, and are interested in working with me, please contact me.
For clients who are not vaccinated, I am still open to meeting using an intensive structure. Here’s what that looks like:
- Starting via video session. We get to know one another, build trust, and practice the foundational skills of surrogate partner therapy. Once we’ve gotten what we can out of meeting online, we start planning our in-person intensive.
- Meeting with one client at a time in an intensive format. You’ll talk with me and your therapist to decide on the length (usually 1 – 4 weeks) and frequency (usually 3 – 6 sessions/week) of our in-person intensive. For the duration of the intensive, we commit to keeping our pods contained and sticking to responsible quarantine practices.
- COVID testing. Before we meet, we both get COVID tested and share our results with one another.
- Open communication: Oddly enough, the pandemic presents a perfect opportunity to practice negotiating boundaries, a skill we focus on a lot in surrogate partner therapy. We’ll talk with one another about our health needs, COVID practices, and most importantly, what makes us feel safe – both before we meet in person and throughout the therapy.
As there are updates to the COVID situation, I will update this page and my protocols accordingly.
My standard rates are $200/hour:
- Video sessions (1.5 hours): $300
- In-person sessions (2 hours): $400
Accessibility is a major value of my practice. I have sliding scale spots available for clients who are queer, trans, gender nonconforming, nonbinary, women, disabled, and/or people of color.
Surrogate Partner Therapy requires a triadic structure; the client, therapist, and surrogate work together continuously for the duration of the work. The client processes each of our sessions with their therapist, and the therapist and I check in regularly to ensure the client is supported.
If you are currently seeing a therapist and would like to work with me, contact me and the three of us will set up a time to talk.
If you are not currently seeing a therapist and want to work with me, I’ve provided a list below of wonderful therapists with whom I have an existing working relationship, all of whom are based in the Bay Area. If you are outside the Bay Area and want guidance on connecting with a therapist in your area, contact me.
Roni Alperin, LMFT
Heather Bradley, PsyD
Oakland and San Francisco
Quandra Chaffers, LCSW
Julie Lehman, LMFT
Keeley Rankin, MA
Merry Ross, MFT
Chelsea Swall, LMFT