If you’re one of the millions of people (like me) who don’t have a live-in partner to cuddle up with during quarantine, you might be scrambling to figure out how to date from home. “Let’s grab a drink sometime” seems like a phrase of the past — but that doesn’t mean dating is off the table. Whether you’re quarantining apart from your sweetie, trying to get to know someone new online, or just downloaded your first dating app, here are some video call date ideas for Zoom, Skype, and Hangouts:
- Go on a virtual tour together. Lots of museums and attractions are offering digital tours during Coronavirus. Art museums across the globe, the National Museum of Natural History, the National Holocaust Museum, and even the famous haunted Winchester house all have tours you can take from your couch. For an even bigger list of online tours, check out this article.
- Read aloud a favorite story, article, or poem. Reading to one another is a tradition that’s rapidly disappearing from our culture, but it’s as romantic as ever! If you’re feeling stumped on what to read, check out this list of stories that are free online. Too shy to read aloud? Read the story separately first and discuss it together on your call.
- Cook dinner together. Cooking together never gets old, even if you’re not in the same kitchen. Trying to avoid an extra grocery store stop? Check out this list of quarantine-friendly recipes using ingredients you probably have around the house.
- Lead each other in guided self touch. Sure, all these date ideas are fun, but what about sex? If you’re experiencing what the internet is calling “skin hunger” and your date is down for something a little more intimate, take turns leading each other in some sexy self touch: check out this past blog post for an audio example.
- Wanna capture the feel of that classic “let’s grab a drink” date? Challenge time: see who can make the best cocktail out of only ingredients you have in your house! (Alternatively, lots of restaurants are offering delivery cocktails, so you could just get one ordered straight to your door.)
- Tired of screens but not ready to break the 6-feet rule? Meet up for a social distance hike or walk on the beach! Most East Bay regional parks are still open, but check here for a full list of closures.